Who are we? We are the longest established organisation in Wales offering support to people with a learning disability in our area - the roots of the organisation going back to 1987. We aim to continue to deliver a high quality and successful advocacy service into the future while responding to the changing needs of the people we support and raising awareness of what it's like to have a learning disability in the UK today. We live in a period of change - it is more important than ever that we help people make their own choices about the things that matter most to them, now and in the future.
Our Aims and Objectives
A Voice for You strives to ensure that people with a learning disability are listened to, that they are valued equally and given the opportunity to become respected members of their communities within Montgomeryshire.
- We recruit and train volunteers to provide citizen, crisis and non-instructed advocacy for people with a learning disability.
- Advocates form partnerships based on trust - they listen to their partners, take an interest in their lives, help them understand and make life choices and ensure their rights are upheld.
- We help facilitate community involvement and inclusion for people with learning disabilities.
- We help provide opportunities for people with a learning disability to extend the number of meaningful friendships they have thus contributing towards their general wellbeing.
- We raise awareness and understanding of learning disabilities in the county.
Advocacy support Around 40 people enjoy one-to-one independent citizen advocacy at present. We also have a small team of advocates who help out with single issue problems. This support is provided by trained volunteers. Self Advocacy We facilitate Powys People First groups in Newtown, Welshpool and Machynlleth. New members are always welcome.
Severn Valley Social Club We believe that it is important that people with a learning disability have the opportunity to develop their social lives. In June 2011 we started the Severn Valley Social Club which meets on the first Wednesday evening of each month. The club is well attended and offers people the opportunity to spend quality time with friends, make new friends and try new things.